AS5134 Rotary Position Sensor
8.5-bit Rotary Position Sensor with Digital Interface for Motor Control
The AS5134 is a contactless magnetic rotary position sensor (previously known as encoder) for accurate angular measurement over a full turn of 360°.
It is a system-on-chip combining integrated Hall elements, analog front end and digital signal processing in a single device.
To measure the angle, only a simple 2-pole magnet rotating over the center of the chip is required.
The absolute angle measurement provides instant indication of the magnet’s angular position with a resolution of 8.5 bit = 360 positions per revolution. This digital data is available as a serial bit stream and as a PWM signal.
In addition to the angle information, the strength of the magnetic field is also available as a 6-bit code. Data transmission can be configured for 1-wire (PWM), 2-wires (DCLK, DIO) or 3-wires (DCLK, DIO, CS).
A software programmable (OTP) zero position simplifies assembly as the zero position of the magnet does not need to be mechanically aligned.
A Power Down Mode together with fast startup- and measurement-cycles allows for very low average power consumption.
- 360° contactless angular position encoding
- 2 digital 360 step (8.5 bit) absolute outputs:
- Serial interface and
- Pulse width modulated (PWM) output
- User programmable zero position, sensitivity
- High speed: up to 82,000rpm
- Direct measurement of magnetic field strength allows exact determination of vertical magnet distance
- Incremental Outputs ABI Quadrature: 90ppr, step direction: 180ppr, fixed pulse width 360ppr
- BLDC Motor Commutations Outputs UVW, selectable for 1,2,3,4,5,6 pole pairs
- Daisy-Chain mode for cascading of multiple sensors
- 9-bit multiturn counter
- Low power mode with fast startup
- Wide magnetic field input range: 20 – 80mT
- Wide temperature range: -40°C to 140°C
- Small Pb-free package: SSOP-20
- Contactless rotary position sensing
- Rotary switches (human machine interface)
- AC/DC motor position control
- Brushless DC motor position control
Block diagram for AS5134 Rotary Position Sensor for Brushless DC Motors
AS5134 High Speed BLDC Motor Commutation Automotive Magnetic Rotary Position Sensor Block Diagram