AS8506 Battery Stack Monitor/Balancer
Cell Monitor and Cell Balancer IC
The AS8506 Cell Monitor and Cell Balancer IC enables Autonomous cell balancing, Simultaneous cell voltage comparison and Simplified readout of cells all in a robust, simple and small solution.
The AS8506 features simultaneous cell voltage comparison with upper and lower threshold, active- or optionally passive cell balancing by simultaneous comparison of actual cell voltages with a target cell voltage. Cells which are below target will either cyclically receive charge packages from an isolated DCDC converter or, optionally, cells above target will cyclically be discharged by an external resistor through integrated switches in an autonomous way. The device can flexibly be used for battery stacks of 3 up to 7 cells. Together with autonomous monitoring and balancing this significantly reduces data communication compared to existing solutions and improves EMC robustness.
- Simultaneous cell voltage capture for balancing and SOA monitoring
- Autonomous balancing and SOA monitoring strongly reduces data communication and data processing and thereby improves EMC robustness
- Active charge balancing with very few external components for good efficiency and little heat dissipation.
- Absolute cell voltage readout for OCV capture and cell impedance calculation. Readout of 2 temperature sensors
All li-based cell packs as well as EDLCs (Electrical double-layer capacitors ==> supercapacitors) in following applications:
- Mobility (like in 12V, 48V, high voltage BMS applications => BEV, HEV, motorcycles, E-scooters, E-Bicycles, E-Kart
- Consumer Electronics like Powertools (e.g. drill machines)
- Off/On-grid energy storage ( for photo voltaic / wind energy)
AS8506 Cell Balancer Block Diagram